SHOBU is a beautifully crafted abstract strategy game for two players.
On your turn:
- Move one of your stones up to two spaces in any direction, including diagonally.
- Match that move with another of your stones on the opposite color board – and push an opponent’s stone off the board's edge.
- Remove all four of your opponent's stones from any ONE board to win.
SHOBU is made of beautiful, natural elements, wood boards, a cotton rope divider and tumbled river stones as playing pieces, giving it incredible table appeal. Instantly familiar, yet wholly unique unto its own, SHOBU feels like a game that has stood the test of time. The rules are amazingly simple and can be learned in moments, yet halfway through your first game, you realize the game has a depth and spatial challenge similar to 3-D chess. Simply brilliant.
Game Design: Manolis Vranas,
Photography: Carolyn Taylor
Ages 8 and Up
Time 20 - 30 min
Bookland ISBN: 978-0-9746461-5-2
Size: 9.5” x 7” x 2” two-piece box
(4) 5 1/2” etched wood game boards
(16) Black polished river stones
(16) White polished river stones
(1) cotton dividing rope